I had one of these once...

Once upon a time I had one of these...
Time rolled by and I forgot the login info... yadda yadda yadda...

So! This is my blog... brand new...
I'm going to cheat on this first one.

I'm going to copy something off a very recent blog post I made... so enjoy!

------
Was already in bed once tonight and couldn't sleep... so here I am, late... exploring the vast greatness of the internet...

While reading one of the usual RSS feeds I keep up with, I see that Pastor Mark Batterson of Nation Community Church in DC posted this a few minutes ago.

"I Samuel 14:6 says, "Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf." I love that modus operandi. But I honestly think many if not most Christians take the opposite approach. Perhaps the Lord WON'T act in our behalf. We let fear dictate our decisions. We have a better-safe-than-sorry mentality. We live as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death.

Maybe it's time for a paradigm shift. When did we start believing that God wants to take us to safe places to do easy things? Here's a thought: the will of God is not an insurance plan. It's a daring plan.

I think we've made a false assumption that the will of God gets easier as we grow spiritually. Some dimensions do get easier with the consistent practice of spiritual disciplines. But I also think God will give us more difficult, dangerous, and daring things to do!

I love this phrase. It's so hopeful. It's so optimistic. And it's the key to living with holy anticipation. Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf. May God give us the spirit of Jonathan!
"

Upon reading this, my eyes were opened a bit to how easily I do allow fear to decide and/or guide my decisions. How many times have I felt God asking me to do something or say something that I immediately, out of fear, became disobedient and abandoned the thought. Would I be in the same place I currently am had I been obedient in the first place... would it have the same outcome?

The what-if's and would-I's are really endless, and truth be told, are pointless at this stage in the game. I tend to dwell on questions like these... and slowly allow that fear to creep back in. Did I make the wrong choice? Would things have been easier?

Ever wonder these things or am I the only one?

I encourage you... start living a life with purpose! A life that challenges us spiritually... Live for something far greater than yourself and far beyond arriving...

Seems slightly generic... but man, I needed this simple reminder tonight!

2 comments:

Lilibeth said...

It helps. Particularly after a tragedy, we freeze. We are afraid to move, so aware of our mortality. We forget that we are in God's hands. Thanks. I needed the reminder too.

Dorynda said...

so i'll apologize for "thefting" your material...but it was too good to pass up! with all that God is doing, i had to share it with my peeps! good stuff man! can't wait to read your's!