in love with the ordinary...


I'm sitting here... watching a concert series that John Mayer recently did in L.A., and I must say... I'm always amazed at the things he does...

In the first 30 minutes of this concert I've watched so far, he's played licks on the guitar that I've never, in my life, thought of. Ever. Ever. I mean... things he's played that my mind at one point has said "oh, yeah... not possible"... (and apparently facial expressions as well... watch him play and you'll know what I mean). Does he build these guitars to flex the laws of physics? Special strings? Some miracle water he's drinking that makes him... John Mayer?

It truly is amazing!

To put things in perspective, I always tend to think of things like..."okay, he's 30.. he's 5 years older than me... I've still got 5 years to be as good as him". That's tough... I wonder, what goes through the minds of great musicians like a Mayer, or Stevie Ray Vaughn...

I have a friend who is bilingual and I've always been curious, "do you dream in Spanish or English?" And her answer... sometimes both. That's my question for these greats... do they think in feeling or musical notation? Musical theory and chord structure, or what fits the song and the moment?

I've gotta admit... music is and always has been my life. I do it for a living. I'm a record producer, a studio musician... I'm the Director of Music Production for a record label in Oklahoma City... its in my blood. Making music is my career and my passion.

But its breaking into that next level. What would I have to personally do to play guitar like John Mayer (seriously folks, if you're thinking "Your Body is a Wonderland", throw that out... I'm talking his blues stuff, his new stuff.. forget acoustic bearing Mayer).

Watching this DVD is getting me pretty excited about a gig I've got coming up this weekend with some of my best friends. We'll be leading worship in Tulsa for a statewide Youth Convention for the Assemblies of God. It'll be my second time playing for a crowd of around 3,000, only this time, a captive audience... haha... I'll be sure to post some pictures up for sure!

1 comments:

Dorynda said...

love this one steven! and love love love john mayer. he is a genius!